July 2020 - Refresher Days
Following an enforced shutdown during the Covid-19 pandemic, the Dean Forest Railway is re-opening! However, before we can run public service trains, we are running two weekends of 'refresher' running days, to ensure our volunteers are fully up to speed with the new processes and ways of working enforced as a temporary measure.
All Dean Forest Railway Society members are invited to attend these weekends so that we can try out our proposed methods of capacity management. Tickets are free of charge, but must be pre-booked. We would, however, welcome a donation to the Emergency Fund to help the DFR overcome the financial difficulties caused by the lockdown (see more here). Groups of up to 8 can be accommodated on these new-look services, however at least one of each group must be a DFRS member and can demonstrate this by showing a valid membership card on the day. When booking tickets, please select 1 ticket per group!
There will be a number of differences to your visit over the next few months:
- We will be running a temporary timetable for the immediate future. Trains will operate on a ‘round trip’ basis; passengers will be able to board their booked train at Norchard ONLY
- It will not be possible to purchase tickets or board the train at Parkend or Lydney Junction
- Trains will not call at Lydney Town or Whitecroft
- Norchard station will employ a one-way system, with a queuing system in place to aid social distancing when alighting and boarding the train
- Whistles Café at Norchard will be open, operating on a takeaway basis with outside seating available. There will be no buffet on board the train, nor refreshment facilities at Parkend
- Please note that the 1st August is provisional, and liable to change subject to any Governmental regulatory changes
Each running day will feature a different form of motive power, so why not come along on multiple days and enjoy the first runs through the Forest of Dean since March?